Saturday, October 16, 2004

childhood innocense

My beautiful young niece came to visit this weekend, and she made me appreciate those photographers who are able to take pictures of toddlers and make it look easy. And in particular, how critical an SLR is to the process.

<epiphany>Never try to take a picture of an active toddler with a camera that only relies on autofocus.</ephiphany>

The Nikon Coolpix 5700 - while an excellent camera has several shortcomings, not the least of which is that it is not an SLR and therefore does not allow manual focusing on images, at least not in the conventional sense, or at least in the sense that's useful.

Be that as it may, there's something to be said for youthful innocense. More than not being able to take a single usable shot with my digital camera and having to resolve to using my Minolta film camera, I got satisfaction from the fits of laughter that emanated from her whenever the flash went off.

No comments: